When you’re a serial over-packer (hard to believe…right?) there are three little words that have the ability to fill you with dread. Carry. On. Only. But often, travel circumstances require you to be on and off that plane with lightening speed (e.g. work / find-somewhere-to-live-in-Sydney trips) and it’s in these cases you just have to make carry-on work.
So, how does one overcome limited luggage space for a weekend away?
- Roll, don’t fold – you’d be amazed at how much more you can squeeze in.
- Pre-plan your daily outfits – no seriously, check the weather forecast and do it.
- Wear your heaviest shoes – benefits are self-explanatory.
- Take your oversized handbag – FILL IT with all your “heavy” essentials – laptop, camera, make-up bag, etc.
- Arm yourself with a good rolly-bag – crucial! Luggage Direct has a great range online or I bought mine from David Jones (armed with a tape measure to ensure I was compliant with domestic and international cabin standards).
The result is a conveniently packed carry on ready to make a swift exit and bypass the queues.
How do you pack for weekends’ away?
IMPORTANT NOTE: By the time I actually got around to packing my carry-on I realised there was no way I was going to fit my Uniqlo down coat, woollen knit and Camilla alpaca scarf (it’s going to be a COLD weekend in Sydney…and I’m a Queenslander now) so I maaay have taken a checked bag. BUT if there wasn’t a crazy country-wide cold snap I totally would have followed through on my own advice.